[ale] Need help from video junkies...transcode and iMovie '09

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 23:09:28 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:
> I have a Hauppauge PVR-150 card that is capable of hardware-encoding
> MPEG-2 from analog input and it also produces YUV video and PCM audio on
> two separate devices under Linux. Creating an MPEG-2 file with video and
> audio from analog source is as simple as "cat /dev/video0 > myrip.mpg".
>
> I would like to edit my videotape rips in iMovie '09 but because my only
> Mac is a MacBook Pro, I don't want to take up large amounts of disk or
> CPU doing transcoding on it. The open-source "transcode" utility can
> turn the card's MPEG-2 output into all kinds of things but I've yet to
> hit on an invocation of transcode that can produce something that I can
> import into iMovie '09 (I did get a result with .mov output but the
> chroma info was mangled in the process).
>
> Here is a listing of transcode's output modules:
> http://www.transcoding.org/transcode?Export_Modules
>
> My most recent attempts involved the ffmpeg output module trying to
> obtain MPEG-4, but the resulting file, while fully playable in VLC,
> won't open in Quicktime and won't import into iMovie '09.
>
> Supposedly iMovie '09 imports:
> DV
> AIC
> Motion-JPEG
> Photo-JPEG
> MPEG-4 (Supported profiles)
> H.264 (Supported profiles)
> Apple Animation (Movie '09 only)
> Apple Video (iMovie '09 only)
>

> My questions:
> 1) For quality's sake, should I be starting with the Hauppauge card's
> MPEG-2 output or find some way to use the YUV/PCM outputs?
>
> 2) Anyone know of an output module invocation for transcode that will
> produce something iMovie '09 will accept?

iMovie want the format to be .mov (quicktime) H264, you know for $80
iomega a great usb device that you let you transfer movies to the mac
very easy.

openSUSE Ambassador
openSUSE Member
skype -- terrorpup
twitter -- terrorpup
Identica -- terrorpup
freenode(irc) -- terrorpup/lupinstein.
friendfeed -- friendfeed.com/terrorpup

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try.
www.susestudio.com