[ale] loading a new system from rpm list

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 15:43:30 EST 2009

In /root is a file called anaconda-ks.cfg It can be used to recreate
the exact same install set by using it as a ks.cfg file You will need
to change the name of it to ks.cfg and read a bit on how to call it
from a launching process (it's pretty easy).

It is possible to use that list of rpms to replace the group-names in
the ks.cfg file. You will need to be connected to a local repo mirror
for speed and do a network installation (tweaking the ks.cfg file to
make that happen as well).

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Steven A. DuChene
<linux-clusters at mindspring.com> wrote:
> I have been requested to load a duplicate system based on the
> list of rpms present on the original system. This is a CentOS
> based system so I looked at the kickstart file but rather than
> working with a list of rpms it uses a list of higher level
> packages that then reference groups of rpms to make up each
> package.
>
> Does anyone know of a tool that would allow me to do a fresh
> load of a bare system based on a list of desired rpms?
>
> I have used systemimager in the past to pull an exact image
> of a system for cloaning but this idea has been shot down
> by the person who requested this.
>
> Any other tools out there that would do this?
> --
> Steven DuChene

James P. Kinney III