[ale] mp3 player

Sat Nov 21 12:03:46 EST 2009

That method of dropping the firmware in a location that it will be
recognized on boot is the right method for a vendor to use. That is
the way that iRiver does it as well.

My dad is a bit of a hot head when it comes to MSFT only requirements.
It's possible that he didn't research further when he saw the firmware
updater. However, I suspect that SanDisk has improved the design since
back when this happened. Maybe buying everyone he could find, writing
DEFECTIVE BY DESIGN REQUIRES WINDOWS TO UPDATE FIRMWARE on the box
with a chisel tip marker, then getting a refund had something to do
with it. Receiving RTMs is very costly.

On 11/21/09, Andrew Grieser <agrieser at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 09:07:03AM -0500, Richard Bronosky wrote:
>> At least in the past the Sansas needed windows to do firmware
>> upgrades. This especially pissed my dad off when he opened the package
>> and saw one of those "taped on at the last minute" notices that the
>> firmware needed to updated before using.
>
> Actually, that's not true. By default, when you go to their website it tries
> to get you to download some windows program to automatically update the
> firmware, but you don't have to use it. You can just download the firmware,
> extract it in the player, reboot, and you've got new firmware.
>
> I don't think the updates are necessary either, but they usually do offer
> new functionality. I was pleasantly surprised when I updated and got flac
> support.
>

> Andrew

Sent from my mobile device

.!# RichardBronosky #!.