[ale] GPG Key Party Followup

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Fri Nov 20 09:37:28 EST 2009

aaron wrote:
> Thanks to all the participants at the ALE
> GPG Key Signing Party!  Don't forget to hit
> the <http://keyserver.ubuntu.com> site soon
> (aka this weekend) and sign the keys on your
> lists.

	Yes, we had a decent turnout and had zero no-shows so that was great.
We got through it all rather painlessly and efficiently while still
having a good time.

> Also, huge thanks to Charles and Jeremy for
> presenting some great info and background.

	Glad I was able to step up and help to ensure it took place after
Mike's "yard work accident"...

> And if you had to miss the party this time,
> rest assured that we will be revisiting this
> topic again a few months down the road with
> a little more lengthy and in depth
> presentation.

	I know there appeared to be some interest in my key management
practices but not enough time, and I wasn't fully prepared to
demonstrate. If there's enough interest I would be willing to put
together something more than a "GPG 101" discussion.

> In the meanwhile there's nothing stopping
> anyone from making and using GPG keys outside
> of the meetings and asking fellow ALE'ers to
> sign them at ALE events  (like the ALE Ubuntu
> Install Fest this Saturday).

	While I can't commit to making an appearance at the Ubuntu Install
Fest, if I've got time and nothing else pressing Saturday I will try to
make it there. If I do I'm more than willing to exchange key information
with anyone that wants to. I'm not beneath GPG key signature whoring...

> We'll leave the general instructions posted
> for a while.  Only major change is that you
> would want to post your public keys directly
> with a public keyserver (like the one linked
> above) instead of sending them to the
> @wittsend.com address.
>
> Charles' excellent step by step directions for
> generating and storing keys is here:
>
> <http://ale.org/static_pages/gpgstepbystep.html
>
> ... and links to other info and such at ...
> <http://www.gnupg.org>

	Yes, thank you Charles for the well written directions. I think they
are a great primer for anyone just wanting to start using GPG. I'd also
like to express my thanks for Mike for doing the initial *leg* work  and
getting the automated key submission process in place as it really
helped make things work smoothly.

> peace
> aaron

	Regards,