[ale] Awful story...

scott scott at sboss.net
Mon Nov 16 08:47:11 EST 2009

Actually there were three companies.  IBM, Indian-company, and four-
letter credit card company.

And many companies that hire contractors/subcontractors restrict what
hardware/software/operatingsystems they can use.

A few years back i went to do a half day job for a contracting company
for Dell. Now the customer knew I wasn't Dell.  But Dell required me
to use a Dell laptop and leave my mac at home (well rental car).  Dell
salesweenie handed me a Dell in the lobby of the customer to use.  I
went in, used the Dell for the 3-4 hours then handed it back to the
same person in the same lobby as I was leaving.

Now was I happywith the Dell?  No not really.  It ran windows and IE.
<shudder>. but it isn't worth the hassle of trying to force firefox
(or even worse Linux) on companies.

Here is a few words of advice (take them or leave them):
* when your employer(direct or indirect) gives you tools, use them.
Including the big evil windows.
* don't make the salesweenies nor pms upset with you at all.
Salesweenies are the ones signing the deals ($$$$) and the pms manage
the people and money allocations.  Make either upset and you are gone.
* when getting hired/contracted don't use the companies resouces
including tech support without direct approval of you point-of-contact
(the pm in the case above).  You could get yourself in big trouble if
you do.

Just my two cents from being in those shoes before...

Sent from my mobile...