[ale] [OT] Multifunction laser for medium-duty use

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Sun Nov 15 16:57:25 EST 2009

Hi everyone,

My church is currently spending almost $300/month to rent
a Kyocera super-industrial copier/printer with a full
maintenance contract.  This seems excessive, considering
we've only got about 80 members in the congregation, and
we only use maybe 10% of this unit's functions.

I volunteered to investigate purchasing a lower-end
color multifunction laser printer that will fill the need
nearly as well.  The heaviest use the unit will get will
be printing the weekly service programs, which amount
to perhaps 200 pages/week, black-and-white.  It will
also need to print a few dozen copies of a monthly
color newsletter. Finally, it will be called upon occasionally
to make color or b&w copies in volumes of 20 to 500 pages.
In total, then, we print/copy on the order of 20,000
pages/year maximum, about 10% of which are color.

So... any recommendations?  I thought we could spend
$500 or $600 on the unit, and count on spending $400
to $500 on supplies over the course of a year.

Thanks in advance,

-- JK