[ale] help with hung dell after karmic install

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Fri Nov 13 17:40:36 EST 2009

Tim Watts wrote:
> Thanks JK. I'll give it a try although 9.10 seems to have done away with
> xorg.conf -- I guess it tries to figure it out by probing?

??? /etc/X11/xorg.conf was on my machine after a 9.04->9.10 upgrade.
Its contents were weird and uninformative, but it was there.  I'm not
sure what that means, exactly.  Maybe the upgrade stubbed out xorg.conf
in favor of some autoprobe magic.

> So if I copy an old xorg.conf.failsafe to xorg.conf in /etc/X11 will X
> know to use that or do I have to give it a special hint (e.g. in
> startx)?

You'll have to restart the X server, which I've never done on an Ubuntu
box short of rebooting. Although I imagine something like

   /etc/init.d/gdm restart

will do the job.

-- JK