[ale] Fwd: periodic fsck was Re: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Tue Nov 10 07:53:11 EST 2009

> If you
> check too frequently, though, users get upset, especially when it
> happens at the most inconvenient time (when you're trying to recover
> from unscheduled downtime by rebooting); if you check too infrequently
> then it doesn't help you too much since too much data gets damaged
> before fsck notices.

Compared to the lost time and forced magical update reboots of M$-Systems,
it's really not an issue. My wife's work MS-laptop just took over 30
minutes to apply updates as it booted up, making her late for work
because she could not/should not shutdown while that is going on.

A little time spent on fscking the hd (dang that sounds dirty)
is nothing to complain about... At least the percentage indicator
tends to go forward in time consistently and is reasonable accurate
compared to the MS-ones that seem to invoke a completion estimation
method invented by Emmett Brown (Back to the Future).