[ale] [OT]atlanta beltway need this!!!

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Fri Nov 6 12:58:55 EST 2009

Geoffrey wrote:
> Greg Freemyer wrote:

>>> MARTA is light rail, is it not?

Heavy.

> I thought maglev provided reduced friction but also forward energy?

I'm not sure what practical systems do but I think the whole point, from
diagrams that I remember, is to have the magnetic apparatus lift, guide,
*and* move the train.  One diagram I recall had a sidelong "rail" onto
which the train both pushed from above and pulled from below using a
wicked control system to keep the train stable in real-world
conditions.  Think about it - you've got to deal with increasing and
decreasing grades, turns (some of which would be banked), wind, shifting
load...and it gets worse.  You don't want to have a push-only system
that uses simple repulsion to lift the train when the tractive force you
get might depend on ride height - can you imagine having the whole train
start pogo-sticking front-to-back because of differences in tractive
force from car to car?

To my mind, the risk, cost, and complexity of maglev isn't sufficiently
justified by the speed.  I want monorail. :)