[ale] [OT]atlanta beltway need this!!!

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Fri Nov 6 09:00:24 EST 2009

"Light rail" basically means "trolley" system.  MARTA is a heavy-rail
system that uses standard-gauge track.

Maglev has its benefits - chief among them speed and low noise - but
it's tremendously expensive.  I'm a monorail fan, mostly because of the
flexibility you get with respect to right-of-way; you can sling rail
over, under, and through anything you want although grade crossings pose
a challenge (though mostly you can design so as to avoid them).

You see a lot more heavy rail than monorail because more contractors
make more money with heavy rail.  Great if you're a contractor or
contractor-supported politician; crappy if you're a taxpayer and/or
potential mass-transit user.  MARTA is for the most part a
nearly-expansion-proof failure because it can't go where people live;
it's hemmed in.  If the system had the freedom to economically pass over
roads, thread through commercial property, etc. then it could go places
- literally.