[ale] Top Ten Request

wolf at wolfhalton.info wolf at wolfhalton.info
Sun Nov 1 12:51:36 EST 2009

Hi Y'all
I am filling a list of the community top ten packages or areas of the
Linux environment and I am asking for your assistance.  I have a Wiki
set up for this at http://wiki.sourcefreedom.com/ and I have started it
off with a couple of things: (this is a page from the site - probably
internal links will fail from this email)

===Linux Top Ten===
There are over 16000 packages available on an average Linux Distro. What
are the top ten packages or area you would counsel a beginner in Linux
to fully master.

For example, I would counsel a beginner to fully understand apt-get and
aptitude, because I am an Ubuntu user, and yum, because I manage a few
Centos installations. I would probably also suggest they get a handle on
the sheer quantity of distributions by going to someplace like
http://Distrowatch.com I might even try to get them to see the
difference between FLOSS and proprietary software work.