[ale] Upgrading to 9.10 hosed my system :-(

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Sun Nov 1 08:45:08 EST 2009

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, JK wrote:

> I just upgraded my excellent 9.04 Ubuntu box to 9.10, and now all has

Personally, I find that "upgrading" any OS is a roll of the dice,
unless the machine to be upgraded is very generic and has not been
tweaked, tuned or much additional software installed on.

Boot from CD, recover your personal stuff and try a fresh install.
Consider multiple partitions, a partition for your personal data.

> It is a sad state of affairs for a person who first built a 0.90
> kernel off floppies in 1992.)

Built a < 1.0 kernel in '94, with a lot of help from friends.
It took some real "cross your fingers" and wait karma.

And I'll be doing a backup and fresh install on my laptop soon,
when I have a break in the normal chaos of things to play.
I've been hearing good things about 9.10 Desktop from others.

I put a 9.10 server online yesterday just to play with, installed
on an old Pentium 4 w/512k ram just fine. After playing with it,
of ram, a good sign.