[ale] Upgrading to 9.10 hosed my system :-(

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Sun Nov 1 05:13:34 EST 2009

On Sat October 31 2009, JK wrote:
> I just upgraded my excellent 9.04 Ubuntu box to 9.10, and now all has
> turned to sh*t.  X won't start, the screen flickers madly even in
> text mode, and the keyboard doesn't work right - it only sees approximately
> every fifth key I type. This is just a disaster :-((( (imagine the little
> overhead bar meaning "last '(' repeated infinitely").

you don't say what kind of video card you have.. NVIDIA/ATI cause problems and
need non-free drivers.
you might ssh in, and look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf first. If it is NVIDIA,
change nvidia to nv and try restart X. Then browse to /var/log, do an ls -ltr
( newest last) and see what errors you find in the logs, like messages,
Xorg.0.log , syslog...
if you have a separate /home partition, you might try to reinstall 9.10.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800