[ale] using ipod touch or iphone with linux

scott mcbrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Fri May 29 17:42:15 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:

> My daughter is starting to lust for an iPod Touch, and she has the Bat
> Mitzvah money to make her dream come true, but I'm hesitant partly
> because I don't have a Mac or Windows machine to talk with it.  Does
> anyone on the list have experience with Linux and iPod Touch (or
> iPhone)?
>
> I do know that I'll have to jailbreak the iPod, and I can probably use
> my work laptop or a friend's mac for that, but after that, how well
> does it work with Linux?  Specifically:
>  1. I believe that amarok should work with the iPod pretty well for
> uploading songs.  right?

yes

>  2. How does she install apps without itunes?

no

 3. Is she going to have to re-joilbreak the iPod every time new
> firmware is released?

yes

She'll be able to install apps through having the ipod jailbroken, but only
the freely available apps :-(  Which eliminates a bunch available through
appstore.

Soon enough you'll get tired of struggling with it and just get a mac.  The
mac mini is solid ;-)

-Scott