[ale] OT: dropped the land line and going naked DSL

David Ritchie deritchie at gmail.com
Fri May 29 11:09:04 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 9:01 AM, briarpatch <briarpatch.jim at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't plug into the NID unless I can also plug into the wall and
> that would be difficult. As for dropping, my DSL modem has a blinking
> DSL light when I can't connect. The modem can be pinged and responds
> when this is going on. And no, it's not getting dropped on my desktop.
> Everything worked fine for the last year and a half. Then I had my
> phone line shut down and I started having this problem the next day. I
> don't think that's a coincidence.

The Motorola DSL modem (if that is one you are using) is defaulted to being
online "on Demand". Also, the recommendation to cable in temporarily at
the demarc (i.e. the grey box on the side of the house) to see if the
problem occurs
there is a good one - otherwise, the phone company will point at the
phone wiring
and say it is your problem (unless you are on their wire maintenance plan,
which is a real cash cow for the RBOC's because generally nothing happens
to internal house wiring..)

-- Dave