[ale] [OT] encryption rights under attack - was Reignited: Linux apparently illegal in MA

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon May 25 12:00:48 EDT 2009

I just want to express thanks to Robert for the excellent (and thorough)
reply and comments on the issues of this thread -- said about everything
I was preparing to and then some. However, I think the discussion dances
around the bigger elephants in the room, so I still have something to
add
in that regard...

It seems to me that over the past 40 years most of America has
watched in
silent complacency as the shadow of Orwell's Big Brother government has
steadily darkened our national skies. Political issues have become
increasingly and intentionally radicalized for divisive effect and the
operations of our government made so insane or incompetent or extremist,
(in a word, so Orwellian) that the whole massive mess seems too ugly
and intractable to face -- the distance of apathy becomes the only way
to protect one's sanity.

Throwing in the towel on political participation or hiding in horror
seems a reasonable response to this expanding Orwellian environment,
but it is also the response that the powers generating that environment
are are counting on. Thus we've suffered endless insane wars on nouns
like "drugs" and "terrorism" and "axis of evil" that have, like the
perpetual wars of Orwell's book, been employed as the State's excuse
for the militarization of our police and privatization of our defense
forces, corrupting them into brutal and sadistic mercenary torturers.
We've suffered the accompanying assaults on Human Rights and Civil
Liberties as evidenced by draconian, freedom killing laws with
duplicitous (Orwellian) labels like the "Patriot Act" (the Patricide
Act that killed the dreams of the founding fathers) and the DMCA
(the protectionist corporate media assault on free speech in
electronic communications).

The present day correlations to the Big Brother tools of oppression
described in Orwell's uber fascist world could fill another book, but
in all cases the abuses of the Big Brother State are systematically
entrenched and enforced through the sensationalized, fear factory
propaganda of a compliant mass media. In the extremes depicted in the
1984 world, even our most basic human nature is overwhelmed by a
manufactured, manipulated, religiously fervent patriotic hysteria,
one so extreme and twisted that every expression of human love and
sexuality is vilified in the common culture as a "sex crime" -- the
hates of homophobia taken to their logical excess, I suppose.
Frightening to see how even that most extreme aspect of the 1984 horror
show is pushing its way into the hate driven propaganda of our real
world cultural consciousness, to the point that someone would argue
that all our rights should be abdicated whenever the State makes any
kind of claim that a crime has a sexually related component.

For myself, I abandoned the apathy of disgust a long time ago and
have become an increasingly involved and informed citizen in response
to the atrocities and absurdities of an increasingly fascist government.
If we care at all about the future fate of humanity, then we can't
afford the luxury of disinterested ignorance and denial any longer.
It seems to me the choice is the same as it has always been -- either
be silent, alone, imprisoned and tortured, or speak out, en mass, and
stand together for the ideals of freedom and democracy.

======
>>> Don't hold out HOPE for the Obama administration to save us.
>>> Back during
>>
>> Of course not, I voted Republican like a good Georgian.
>
> I voted for Bob Barr, a good Georgian I like.  Had he made it, we
> never would
> have had these discussions.
>
> Cheers,
> Robert~

Indeed. Thinking that either "half" of the corrupted and intertwined
status quo duopoly can restore our democracy of themselves is delusional
-- all of their entrenched, greed motivated interests are tied to
defending the corporate welfare police state, the corporate media fear
factories and all the associated military death machine industries.
This new administration has taken some tentative, hopeful steps toward
recognizing and dismantling the mechanisms of fascism (e.g. restoring
reasoned dialogue and basic competence to our government, appointing a
drug policy minister who will end the fraudulent "war" on drugs in
favor of sane and humane policies), but effectively restoring our
nation and its constitutional principles is still going to take massive
activism and, to make those changes last, the establishment of multiple
parties in the political process.  So, like Robert, I'm an advocate of
an outside political party, because when it comes to concerns for Civil
Liberties and Human Rights and democracy, parties like the Greens and
Libertarians are often the only way to vote for a sane and civil
democrative nation of conscience that is worthy of our patriotism.

peace
aaron