[ale] sloppy coding in breath tester

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Sat May 16 15:37:33 EDT 2009

David A. De Graaf wrote:
> One reason offered is that sloppy typing combined with a poor emacs
> user interface can cause accidental termination of the X server.
> What ever happened to the concept that *nix users know what they're
> doing and get exactly what they ask for?

I can't imagine why any emacs user would use a binding that would move
an entire hand off the home row.  Sounds insane to me :)

> I, for one, greatly resent and deplore the removal of this essential
> key stroke.

Essential might be a bit of a stretch.  I'd be willing to give you
"handy" or maybe even "somewhat useful."  :)

> There's a workaround - just one more to add to the long list to make
> a new Fedora system work "properly".

Fedora and Ubuntu aren't the culprits.  It seems the Xorg team decided
to flip the DontZap default.  If you don't like the new behavior it is
very easy to change.

Pat