[ale] transfer speed

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 13 10:30:41 EDT 2009

I'm on Charter cable at my apartment in AL and a server I setup in Texas
is on Charter cable.  I'm backing up several Gigs of data (drive image
snapshots and some ISO's mainly) and am noticing that the speed seems
very slow.  Currently I'm averaging about 40kbs, but the speed is pretty
intermittent (down as low as 1.4kbs occasionally).  I was thinking that
I should be cooking since both machines are on cable.

At this rate the 20+ GB I'm moving will take weeks.

How can I find where the bottleneck is?

I'm using Unison for the transfer, but am not opposed to using something
else.

Thoughts?

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/