[ale] MythTV questions

adam prozaconstilts at gmail.com
Mon May 11 22:30:25 EDT 2009

Preston Boyington wrote:
> I'm looking into setting up a MythTV box soon and have run across
> several different versions (MythDora, KnoppMyth, etc.) that look fairly
> simple to install.
>
> That said, I believe I remember seeing someone mention an Arch linux
> setup.  I have used Arch on a few things in the last couple months and
> really liked the results.  Can anyone remember the thread?
>
> One more thing, I've been reading up on getting a pcHDTV HD-5500 card
> for my cable or possibly just for OTA channels (depending on reception).
>  I have seen where the 5500 apparently has/had some issues with the
> channels that the previous card did not.  Is this still the case?  Would
> another off the shelf card be "better"?
>
> Thanks all,
> Preston

I just finished a Mythbuntu and HDHomeRun setup w/ basic extended cable,
and it works pretty well. So far, I'd highly recommend the HDHomeRun.
Their forums and wiki are filled w/ info on how to exactly use it for
Linux/Myth/lirc, and it being a glorified MPEG streamer reduces a lot of
the headaches that configuring the hardware will bring (but the 5500 is
built for *nix, so I'm guessing it's not all that bad).

lirc was a bit tough to get working for my remote, but not due to
hardware problems, only due to my lack of knowledge.

Getting all the channels and such set up properly was hard too, but once
I got the hang of it, things went smoothly.

All that being said, the whole machine definitely is a black box of
"mostly works." If it decides to go belly up, I'll be spending a fair
deal of time figuring out how to fix it.

If you want a greater level of control, probably starting on a highly
control-centric distro like Arch would let you achieve that.

And finally, did we decide a date for a Mythfest? Last I heard, a
mid-June date was tough since other conferences were about. Late
June/early July?

Adam