[ale] How to Mount a DVD-ROM Drive?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon May 11 18:41:36 EDT 2009

Since the dvd is a user mountable drive that's not handled by
/etc/fstab anymore. It's should be done by udev.

If the cruft is removed from fstab, system rebooted, and the drive
won't mount consistently with the same disk, it sounds like a physical
issue (cable, power, bad drive, etc).

You can check system status with dmesg on disk insert.

You really _don't_ want to perm mount the dvd. If you need the data
always available, make an image and loop mount that.
mount -t iso9660 <image file.iso> <my mount dir> -o loop

I do that with disk images for kickstart installs. (then share 'em out
with a zillion nfs lines).

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I hope my issue is a small one. I'm running Fedora 10, kernel
> 2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.x86_64. I have an internal DVD burner drive, but
> it's very inconsistent with mounting. Some times I have to reboot the
> machine or try to eject and reinsert the CD/DVD multiple times before it
> recognizes it.  Is there a way that I can mount my DVD burner, in the same
> fashion that I've done my other two hard drive partitions?
>
> I've made entries in /etc/fstab and added /dev/sbd{1,2}, so my partitions
> mount every time I boot.  What is the device path to the DVD burner or how
> can I find that out?  Thanks.
>
> --
> Marc F.
>
> www.fergytech.com
> Registered Linux User: #410978
>
> "When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"

James P. Kinney III