[ale] Cheap hackable wifi router

David W. Millians millia at panix.com
Mon May 11 08:54:08 EDT 2009

Brian MacLeod wrote:
> Probably a WHR-G54S.  Unfortunately, you cannot get these in stores
> now because of the CSIRO crap which kept Buffalo out of the US market
> for over a year.  Most of the stuff they are selling now is N based
> gear, and I couldn't speak to its quality.

Hi Brian.
They were indeed nice routers. Buffalo is back in the market, however.
Their new devices are about the same price point as the Linksys. (At
least the ones that have B/G capabilities.) They may be easier to flash.

> How would I know: I have one, and I have noticed that it puts out a
> better signal than most of my WRT54G_ routers.

They are indeed rock solid. Their base software isn't bad either. I
still prefer DD-WRT, but it's pretty flexible for the manufacturer firmware.

Thanks,
David