[ale] prevent shutdown when users logged in via ssh/nx?

Thu May 7 13:51:31 EDT 2009

It should also write to a log or touch a file or something so that you
know whether or not a shutdown has been attempted. You don't want to
shutdown upon completion if she is still using the machine.

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> When you log in for admin work, replace the shutdown command with an
> xpopup command that informs the user that updates are currently in
> progress and the system will shutdown when they are done.
>
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 12:04 PM,  <rs at ale.spam.futz.org> wrote:
>> I'm the remote admin for my mother-in-law's computer, which is running ubuntu.
>> She uses it infrequently, so I have scripts to IM me when she boots it up, so
>> I can do updates and such.
>>
>> The problem is that often she'll shutdown before I'm finished, and I get
>> booted off.
>>
>> If I leave a console login active and try and shut-down via the gnome gui, I
>> get a dialog about other users being logged in. However, this doesn't appear
>> to happen if I'm logged in via ssh, or even if I've got an gnome session via
>> nxclient.
>>
>> I'm looking for a way to be able to prevent a shutdown while I'm logged in. I
>> suppose I could write a script to replace the shutdown command, and check for
>> other sessions before actually shutting down.  Anyone got any other ideas?
>>

>> Robert

> James P. Kinney III
> Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness

.!# RichardBronosky #!.