[ale] OT: who's bought/seen Caprica?

David W. Millians millia at panix.com
Tue May 5 16:16:36 EDT 2009

Sid Lane wrote:
> sooo...
>
> this thread's about to hit its 40th reply and unless I've missed one
> nobody else has seen and said they liked/hated it?

Hadn't seen it yet; have now. It's quite enjoyable, and gives you
several 'aha' moments congruent to BSGv2. Obviously, with a pilot, they
have to setup the action, and the characters, and for sci-fi arenas, the
world, and so it can lack in terms of story. This one does pretty well
for that tough problem. He's set up some interesting dilemmas for the
future of the series, and the sociological underpinnings ought to be
interesting.

A re-imagined BSGv2 doesn't have quite the same pilot hurdle, if you
think about it. Here's this world, but you've sorta seen it before.
Figure it out. Dollhouse shows the converse case. It's only now starting
to hit its stride...

Sidebar, generic to avoid spoilers: I thought the 2nd language was sorta
familiar, but didn't realize how classically familiar it was until
almost the end of the pilot. Cute touch; shame I can't understand that
language when it's spoken.

Does Ron Moore smoke? He certainly loves it when his characters do.

Net result: why is it going to be 2010 before we see the series? Maybe
I'll have AT&T uverse and therefore SciFi/SyFy HD by then.

Oh yeah - no bluray version. Booooooooo!

And, the square cornered paper returns.