[ale] Muting Threads on Gmail

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 5 13:14:55 EDT 2009

In gmail, _everything_ is in the inbox. The labels only dictate how
things get displayed. I have ale get a label by filters and I can
still mute threads I'm not actively flaming, er, um, participating in.
A muted thread goes to archive and can be found by advanced search. It
also has an icon label of mute.

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 11:20 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting. You're right. If I click my "ale" label and then select a
> thread, the mute option is not available. I, too, have mailing list
> emails automatically labeled, but I read them all from the "inbox".
>
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I see it now, but I'm not sure it will help me.  I was testing with a
>> msg not in the Inbox, so I did not get the option.
>>
>> My issue:
>> I have a filter setup to push all mailing list emails into their own
>> labels and skip the inbox.
>>
>> The mute feature seems to just be a way to get threads to skip the
>> inbox.  Am I missing something?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Greg
>

> --
> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

James P. Kinney III