[ale] generate streaming videos.

arxion arxaaron at gmail.com
Tue May 5 11:24:35 EDT 2009

On 2009, May, 04, , at 11:38 PM, Atlanta Geek wrote:
> Just as it is possible to generate an image with programically with
> perl and image magick.  Does anyone know how to generate videos
> dynamically.  think of generating a graph and seeing how the graph
> changes over time.
> I'd prefer .mov file format generation.
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated.

As a media guru, your inquiry got me curious. Quickly came up with
a number of tool options for command line creation of video from
a still file sequence.  Great overall example is from someone who
was salvaging 8mm/Super8 movies to video streams:

http://michaelminn.com/linux/mmsuper8/

The general arsenal seems to be combinations of mencoder and/or ffmpeg
to encode image sequences and netpbm or Image Magick to handle stills
and still format conversions, plus gimp scripts for more sophisticated
graphic processing ops like color corrections.

I particularly like the film xfer hints, since I have designs on
someday building a film capture process for pristine restoration
of 8mm and super8 films.  I do a lot of this now in my consumer
oriented video jobs, but strictly as a video recording from a
rolling projector. It would be really nice to achieve better
quality with an automated scanning process.

HTH!

peace
aaron