[ale] OT: who's bought/seen Caprica?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat May 2 23:59:15 EDT 2009

Having near geezer creds on this topic, the new BattleStar out shines
the old one. Starbuck is not just a female, she is a female of
formidable talents, complicated persona, and portrayed by an
outstanding actress.

The old BG was 70's kitsch and cheese with ray guns. The new on did a
fine job of portraying life on the run with the survival of all of
humanity at stake. They still have scary, shiny metal cylons and
totally devious "skin jobs" that are sleeper agents.

I did not like the conclusion episode for _how_ they wrapped things
up. I think it should have been much different.

Also: the original BG was sued out of existence by Lucas because the
design of the ship was too similar to a Star Wars ship.

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Robert Reese~ <ale at sixit.com> wrote:
>> Nah, that's Battlestar Galactica.
>>
>> We'll overlook this incident, but another one and your Nerd
>> Credentials go before the board for review!
>
> In my defense, Battlestar Galactica should be BG, not BSG.  Furthermore, while I
> do have a copy of the mini-series preceding the series on DVD, I have never
> bothered watching it.  I figured one day when I was bored I might check it out.
>
> OTOH, I might not.  I stopped watching Battlestar Galactica when I was betrayed
> by Battlestar Galactica: 1980 after faithfully watching each and every episode
> of the original without missing a single one.  I had all the action figures, the
> weapons and even a uniform.  Plus, who didn't have a ship the size of a Buick
> back then for Christmas?  Besides, no one could ever replace Lorne Green as
> Commander Adama (and WTF... Starbuck is now a *woman*???)  For the record, I am
> one of the few people that witnessed the Battlestar Galactica attraction at the
> original Universal Studios... our group went the day before the official opening
> of the attraction.
>
> My Nerd Credentials in question?  Not a chance!  ;c)  Just too many damn
> acronyms running around without supporting reference.
>
> Cheers,
> R~

James P. Kinney III