[ale] AutoFS

scott mcbrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Sat May 2 09:13:47 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Brandon Colbert
<colbert.brandon at gmail.com>wrote:

> All,
>
> I have searched all over the net about setting up AutoFS. I am able to
> mount the share: manually or through /etc/fstab.  Can someone give me a
> hand?
>
> My config:
> Server: NFS share. /home/data    192.168.100.0/255.255.255.0(ro)
>
> Client:
> auto.master:
> /misc    /etc/auto.misc
> /net    -hosts
> +auto.master
>
> auto.misc:
> data         -fstype=nfs,ro        server.net:/home/data

Brandon,

Your auto.misc looks right, but I'd probably change it to:
data          -ro,soft,intr              server.net:/home/data

The soft and intr options make nfs a little nicer on the client, like it can
interrupt a process if the nfs server is having issues.

But you didn't tell us the problem.  I'm guessing that you're expecting
/misc/data to appear after you restart autofs?  That's not going to happen
with you setup because you're running autofs as a mount resource on demand,
so it won't be until you actually try to use the contents of /misc/data that
you'll see the mount point created and data available to your system, then,
if you're idle for a while and haven't used the data, the directory will be
umounted and the mountpoint will go away until you try to access it again.
 Try running ls /misc/data to see if autofs is working, if you get stuff
back, working, if you get "no such file or directory", not working.

If you want autofs to always show you the mounted resource, you want to
create a "direct map" with your configuration.

-Scott