[ale] OT: Sprint bringing WiMax to Arlanta this year

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Mar 27 08:33:36 EDT 2009

Jim Philips wrote:
> This could be nice:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/26/sprint_wimax/
>
> You might be able to unplug for good...that is, if Sprint remains among
> the living.

That's if they don't follow Verizon's example.  To get the next tier of
wireless speed from Verizon, I had to agree to a monthly cap on usage.
Pay big bucks for Mbs after that.  Technology is at odds.  On the one
hand we have people out there suggesting that they're going to only
distribute video via the web and on the other hand we have the service
providers (Comcast, AT&T and Verizon) either putting caps on usage or
limiting bandwidth to users who are guilty of down loading video.

I wonder if wireless will every beat out direct connect?  You can
squeeze so much more bandwidth through multiple fiber lines than the
spectrum can handle.  I suppose if you flood the world (or your market)
with towers you could compete but at what cost?  Is it truly cheaper to
install a tower to cover a given area?  I guess it's possible.

Jim.