[ale] Missing Hardware and Non-Functional Software

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sun Mar 22 18:09:00 EDT 2009

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:40:53 -0400
Scott McBrien <smcbrien at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is your /dev/cdrom sym link broken?  I would have expected the drive
> to be a /dev/sd? If it's a SATA attached device.

For a SATA CD/DVD/BluRay drive, it should be /dev/srX, where X starts
at zero...

Also, might want to check the /dev/sg* nodes.  Is there one for every
drive that is installed in the system?  If there are more /dev/sg*
nodes than there are /dev/sd* and /dev/sr* nodes, and you don't have
any SCSI-generic only devices, then there's the missing drive...

	--- Mike