[ale] Pulling log entries rather than pushing from DMZ host

Jim Popovitch jimpop at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 17:27:20 EDT 2009

2009/3/20 Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com>:
> We have a need to monitor logs for Tomcat and Apache on a new web server
> that is of course in DMZ.
>
> I know I can use syslog to sends logs from this host inside the firewall but
> I don’t want to initiate traffic from inside the DMZ.
>
> Is there any tool that would let me initiate a connection from my internal
> hosts to the DMZ host and pull log entries as they occur?

There's a million ways... ;-) It all depends on what you want to do
with the data you pick up.

Here's some examples:

ssh host.domain.tld tail -f /var/log/apache/access.log >
host.domain.tld.log & tail -f host.domain.tld.log

ssh host.domain.tld tail -f /var/log/apache/access.log |
/usr/local/bin/script-on-local-pc

etc.

-Jim P.