[ale] IBM to buy SUN?

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Thu Mar 19 09:02:01 EDT 2009

> On a related note, it appears that another UNIX OS will eventually join
> SCO in the tarpit.  Killed by linux?  I can't see IBM keeping both AIX
> and Solaris.

At least I actually know people who use AIX and Solaris in production at
real businesses. I haven't seen a SCO machine in a while.. Except for one
running a local medical practice (green screens on serial terms).
Their "upgrade" is RedHat and a web browser interface.

I even did some DB2 on Linux a few years ago, ran well
and there are lots of weird custom business things that
use it, love it.

I'll contend IBM will support them as long as there are paying customers.
Maybe they will merge the two into a new future OS: SolarAIX, SlowlarAIX..
SIX, SAIX .. the possible acronomyms are endless..

Overall, it might be a good thing for the FOSS community if they continue
their combined support for it.