[ale] IBM to buy SUN?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Mar 19 08:53:35 EDT 2009

Maybe they wouldn't keep both but as I noted in my initial post Solaris
seems to be the biggest UNIX presence out there.  I was shocked when I
went on a job hung a few years back to find Solaris had taken over the
UNIX world while I wasn't looking.   If they were going to dump one I'd
be willing to bet it would be AIX rather than Solaris.

However, there is no need to dump one or the other.  They can simply do
as others before them have done and keep "enhancing" both until they
look so much alike there is no real difference except the name.  Of
course that didn't work out so well for Tru64 folks after HP bought
Compaq (which had bought DEC).

In a recent AUUG presentation the Tek Systems recruiter that speaks
there again indicated Solaris was always where the most UNIX openings
were.