[ale] OT: Goin Comcast

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Mar 19 01:07:46 EDT 2009

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:39:27 -0400
Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:

> Wifey and I are moving into a rental house which is in a Comcast
> controlled area. On the Broadband Service they are pushing this thing
> they call PowerBoost to get 12 Mbps. From what I am able to gather it
> requires software install that only runs on M$ Windoze, so what
> happens with a Linux box or my wifeys state owned laptop that she is
> not allowed to install software (running M$ XP)? Also they require
> that they set up home networks or I'm not supported. Anyone know what
> the deal with that is?

"PowerBoost" has nothing to do with your network; it's done at the
modem or beyond.  When we were on residential service, we had 8Mbps
service "boosted" to 16Mbps (I think).  PowerBoost only works for
transfers that it can detect are file transfers; I think that pretty
much only means HTTP and FTP downloads.  I could be wrong, though.
That's just what I noticed when we had it.

That said, I much prefer their business plan without that boost.  We
get a consistent (and higher) speed, no bandwidth cap, and the extra
expense was less than proportional to the increase of speed.  Oh, and
no ~250GB cap.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.