[ale] IBM to buy SUN?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 17:21:50 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 13:24,  <dmcnash at charter.net> wrote:

> I'm guessing that IBM is buying SUN for a talent and culture infusion..

Caveat: I work for Blue (but love Purple) and I have no inside
knowledge or idea on what the guys/gals at the top are thinking...

That said, I'm thinking it's more market protection.  Sun is at a good
price right now... and sometimes you spend a little $$ to keep others
from moving into your arena.  Sun and IBM have always gotten along
well... but what if Microsoft bought Sun?  What if Cisco (who is also
buying up several others) bought Sun (they'd have
storage/hardware/software/network, what would be left?)  I like Sun,
Cisco and IBM... I sure hope this all works out nicely. ;-)

> I can't think of anything coming out of IBM R&D since the RISC processor.

Here's a start:

http://domino.research.ibm.com/comm/pr.nsf/pages/resources.html?Open&count=5000

-Jim P.