[ale] LVM and Xen

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Wed Mar 18 14:12:16 EDT 2009

Andrew Grieser wrote:
> To the best of my understanding (and please point it out if I am
> wrong), when you export a partition (or a logical volume) to a guest,
> the guest sees it as an entire disk. Because the partition you
> exported does not have a partition table, the guest installer prompts
> you to create one on what it believes to be the entire disk. So what
> you end up with is a partition within a partition within a disk.
> Because of this, you can't manipulate the interior partition from the
> host (dom0), and you can't unmount the root file system and grow the
> partition within the guest.

I would imagine it would be possible to map your LVM volumes or disk
images to entire disks, you certainly don't have to.

My Xen machines all have LVs mapped to partitions in their config files.
   That's the way the xen-create-image set them up for me.  It does a
fine job of creating the LVs and config files for you.

Pat