[ale] Problems with Debian 5.0 linux-image grub run on software RAID

Chris Kleeschulte chris.kleeschulte at it.libertydistribution.com
Wed Mar 18 00:38:27 EDT 2009

Hi Chris:

Yes, you are correct...grub does know about filesystems but not RAID,
so RAID1 is used for boot partitions since it is mirrored. I have a
debian etch machine running the boot partition off a RAID1 device. I
simply pointed the my root device to (hd0,0) (in my case). Please
excuse me if this is too trivial help you, but seems like it might
help. I am using software RAID1 with LVM on that. If I missed
something let me know.

The above could be brittle if hd0 fails, but you can operate still,
but rebooting without changing your root will be an issue.

Chris

Chris Kleeschulte