[ale] OT: Goin Comcast

oliver ohemming at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 15:09:29 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:
> Wifey and I are moving into a rental house which is in a Comcast
> controlled area. On the Broadband Service they are pushing this thing
> they call PowerBoost to get 12 Mbps. From what I am able to gather it
> requires software install that only runs on M$ Windoze, so what happens
> with a Linux box or my wifeys state owned laptop that she is not allowed
> to install software (running M$ XP)? Also they require that they set up
> home networks or I'm not supported. Anyone know what the deal with that is?

I thought powerboost was enabled via a modem firmware update rather
than software on the client side.  And I was under the impression that
I had powerboost... at least my upload and download speeds start off
very high for about 30 seconds before stabilizing at a constant level.

Just don't tell them you have a home network and you'll be good.  If
you want to be safe, clone the MAC from the XP laptop to the router
and they'll never know.  They probably won't know anyway as I've had
my Arch box and VoIP phone behind a dlink router than doesn't have the
cloned MAC.  I just tell them I'm directly connected to the modem if I
ever have to call.

oliver