[ale] Why no hackable GPS

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Mar 16 19:25:41 EDT 2009

Atlanta Geek wrote:
> .
>
> Anyway the GPRS is nice but I would love to just have a wi-fi version
> that doesnt require subscription costs or requires $60 to update
> mapping software.
> I realize most of the applications would not work but just the ability
> to email it addresses before I leave on a job interview would save a
> lot of paper.

Does anyone realize what is required to do map updates?

http://www.teleatlas.com/WhyTeleAtlas/FAQs/index.htm#faq10

I feel entitled too for free map updates but someone pays for them.
Eventually one company will provide free updates and other will
follow.   I would much prefer to pay for a system that is up2date then a
system that is 3 years too old.