[ale] Problems with Debian 5.0 linux-image grub run on software RAID

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Mon Mar 16 12:09:36 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I posted the below to forums.debian.org but got no response; maybe
someone here might have an idea what's going on? Long story short, the
linux-image postinst script in Debian 5.0 (Lenny) breaks when /boot is
a RAID 1 partition.

Basically, grub doesn't grok RAID directly, but since each disk in a
RAID 1 array is identical to what would live on a single non-RAID
disk, you could set up the array and  just point grub to the physical
partition. Once grub is done, the kernel mounts /boot as RAID 1, and
everything is good. However, the update-grub postinst script in Lenny
now tries to look up /boot's mount point and verify that it's the same
partition that appears in device.map, (which it isn't).

Below is my post:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=37095

And the error generated by the update-grub postinst script is:

Running postinst hook script /usr/sbin/update-grub.
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
warning: grub-probe can't find drive for /dev/evms/md/md0.
error: array->nr_devs > array->total_devs (3)?!?
grub-probe: error: Cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/evms/md/md0.
Check your device.map.

Originally I had /boot mounted from /dev/md0 - suspecting the evms
might be the issue, I changed this to mount at /dev/evms/md/md0, but
that did not solve the problem.

Thanks in advance!

-Chris