[ale] Best Netbook for Beginner

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 08:25:01 EDT 2009

I acquired an Aspire One (with Linpus installed), wiped the drive and
installed Fedora 10 and did the tweaks to get max performance and
useability.

What performance can be seen is based on how the machine is used. XP
_can_ be thinned down to get decent speed but that requires adding
extra software and some is of dubious source/quality.

The gnome environment on Fedora is about the same as the one in
Ubuntu. But Fedora patched theirs to include a few bits that Ubuntu
did not ship with. Bleeding edge? Yes. Both distros are (for Ubunutu
!= LTS) pushing the envelope.

Rpmfusion. Well designed and implemented. RedHat has been a strong
supporter of both principle and practice of the GPL. So they don't
ship patented software or derivatives. Thus the need for rpmfusion.
It's really simple: install 2 repos from an rpm, run 'yum install
mplayer-gui gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly' and you can
play pretty much any multimedia except flash. Get that from Adobe.

Now put all this on that aspire one and it's a pretty impressive
little machine! My daughter has it and uses it daily for college work
- mostly writing and researching for papers but also for clowning
around with youtube videos. She doesn't do her French homework on it
as the website has a screen height that is too clunky tall for that
short screen. Lots of scrolling up and down to read, listen and
respond. Really crappy design on the web site.

James P. Kinney III