[ale] OT: M$ vs. Linux netbooks

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Mar 5 09:35:43 EST 2009

Actually, given the personal cost of going for the EULA refusal refund, I
wonder just how useful it is. If your time is worth just a little more
than minimum wage, you have perhaps 10 hours to hit break even, after
which you lose more than you gain from a financial perspective. Should the
effort get in the way of more productive pursuits, you lose faster.

OTOH, blogging and public notice type work can pay dividends both for the
Linux community and yourself, even if the accounting is harder to follow.

Personal opinion - skip worrying about retrieving any M$ tax, purchase the
lower cost machine, install Linux, and advertise the fact you are running
Linux. If you get a copy of XP out of the deal, put it in a safe place or
the trash, depending on the reliability of your software filing system and
personal biases.

IMHO, fighting the M$ tax as such may well be a battle front from the
past. Lets find a new way to put open source software in front of the
public.

Of course, YMMV