[ale] OT: CD drive and revolution speed correlation?

Devnull devnull at iamdevnull.info
Thu Mar 5 08:03:18 EST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 13:42, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you are reading data at 400 ips from a track 2 1/2 inches from the
> center, then the rotation speed is:
>
> rpm = 400 ips * (60 sec/min) / (2 * 2.5 * pi)
>
> If at 1 in radius, just replace 2.5 with 1.

So if 2.5 is our distance from center of disc, and it varies as we
read the disc, then we can replace 2.5 with x, which leaves us with
(400*60)/2pi*x, which is an equation proportional to 1/x, the parent
rational function. I'm having a little trouble finding the data, but
once I get it, I will send it on. Thanks so much for your intelligent
replies; you have really cleared this up for me.
--
-
/dev/null