[ale] Something is Fishy About My Network

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 22:34:28 EST 2009

You need a nameserver on your network to ping by name. The easiest
thing to do there is to setup Samba to be a WINS server[1]. That way,
when machines join your network, they will tell the WINS server what
their name is (unicron in your case) and its associated IP address.
That will solve your "ping by name" problem. On my network I let my
MythTV box be the WINS server. It's always running. You simply need a
line in your smb.conf that reads "wins support = yes". Sorry, I can't
tell you the GUI stuff; I don't know it.

If you look at /etc/resolv.conf you'll probably see something akin to
"nameserver 192.168.1.1". That means name lookups are going to first
ask your local nameserver (a WINS server is easiest) before asking
192.168.1.1 (in my case, that is the local gateway).

In regard to the firewall, there really isn't a problem with it. It is
going to stop things from coming in without you first requesting them.
It's really kind of pointless if you are already behind a firewall
(and you are if you use any off-the-shelf home router). But the
firewall isn't stopping your name requests.

[1] -- http://tinyurl.com/bh2e6g

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/