[ale] OT: M$ vs. Linux netbooks

Robert Reese~ ale at sixit.com
Wed Mar 4 12:22:14 EST 2009

> I still don't understand how this can be.
>
> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/notebook.hmx?
>
> I'm referring to the Acer notepads. Same model but the one that
> comes with M$ XP has an extra 512MB also a 16GB vs an 8GB SSD and a
> webcam whereas the Linux one does not (as near as I can tell) but
> the M$ version is $40 cheaper than the Linux one. The typical M$
> drone is going to go for the "cheaper" Genuine M$ unit and not even
> consider the Linux unit.

Microsoft is subsidizing the cost of the MS one to "undercut" the competition.
These Netbooks have made serious inroads to the general public very quickly over
the past 18 months, and most all of them have been Linux and have been less
expensive than the XP models.

Doing what has worked for them in the past, Microsoft would rather lose money
than lose a customer.  The last thing Microsoft wants is for a customer to
'taste' Linux and find that it works as well for them as Windows.  Worse, people
are becoming accustomed to organic operating systems on small devices such as
those seen on these brick-sized touch-screen cell phones.  Windows CE has never
had much market share on the PDA, and these Netbooks are essentially a cross
between a PDA and a laptop/notebook, and around the same price as a PDA.

An irony here is that Microsoft is actually shooting themselves in the foot by
giving Linux VALUE.  Many people won't try Linux because they perceive it has no
value: "you get what you pay for".  This mentality is often the bane of FOSS
supporters and one of the main reasons Linux still has just 1% of the market
share in the U.S.  However, this concept is going to work in our favor because
this makes it appear that Linux's value is actually worth MORE than Windows.

Geoffrey's right... buy the cheaper one and put Linux on it.  Then blog like mad
how to convert one for free for a faster, more powerful Netbook.  And then blog
like hell about the false data when Microsoft touts sales as proof of the
superiority of their OS and/or sales.  Or, make $40 by buying one with MS on it
and put Linux on it and resell it for the same price as the other Linux machine.

Cheers,
Robert~