[ale] OT: CD drive and revolution speed correlation?

Devnull devnull at iamdevnull.info
Wed Mar 4 11:53:33 EST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 10:57, Jeff Hubbs <jeffrey.hubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> *Audio CDs* practice Constant Tangential Velocity in playback.  For
> data CDs, it's more arbitrary; my understanding was that a "52x"
> CD-ROM drive is only 52x at or near the outer edge, where the drive's
> maximum rotational speed corresponds to the highest data rate.  It's
> reasonable to say that CDs of all sorts have a constant tangential
> data density independent of radius.

I am not all that familiar with Constant Tangential Velocity, from
what you have described here, I am guessing that it is similar to
Constant Linear Velocity. Since the CD under testing was a data CD,
does that mean that Jim was correct, insofar as the CD drive spins at
the same constant physical speed during the entire read process. If
that is correct, then it would be dependent on some pi-based function,
right?

> I recall that we've at least one person on the list who has had a CD
> shatter under load inside a drive.  I have had a CD *eject* at speed
> once.  I ran.
(!)

--
-