[ale] OT: CD drive and revolution speed correlation?

Jeff Hubbs jeffrey.hubbs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 10:57:50 EST 2009

*Audio CDs* practice Constant Tangential Velocity in playback.  For
data CDs, it's more arbitrary; my understanding was that a "52x"
CD-ROM drive is only 52x at or near the outer edge, where the drive's
maximum rotational speed corresponds to the highest data rate.  It's
reasonable to say that CDs of all sorts have a constant tangential
data density independent of radius.

I recall that we've at least one person on the list who has had a CD
shatter under load inside a drive.  I have had a CD *eject* at speed
once.  I ran.