[ale] Maybe was discussed before

Sean C. McCord scmlist at cycoresys.com
Sun Mar 1 19:39:36 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 07:22:53PM -0700, JK wrote:
>Here's how I did it. with a Motorola DSL modem supplied
>by AT&T -- this is just a modem, not a modem/router,
>but the general principles ought to be the same.  In
>fact I did this exact same procedure with a friend's
>DSL router a couple weeks ago, also on AT&T; but I don't
>remember what kind of router it was.

>snip<

Unfortunately, for new AT&T customers, this method does not work
because you are not given a username and password to begin with.  You
have to use their amazingly-poorly-coded ActiveX kludge to even create
a username and password.

Worse, even if you _do_ have a Windows machine, you are not guaranteed
of it working.  Three out of the last five DSL installs I have
attempted have failed with a regular Windows XP machine running IE 6
and 7.

The only thing you can do, as far as I've been able to see, is call
them up, lie that you have a Windows box, that you have gone through
the steps and that it always fails, and ask them to set up a new
username and password for you.  Sometimes you'll get a rep who will do
this for you, most times, you will not.

If my last rant about AT&T DSL did not dissuade you, maybe this will.

--
Sean C. McCord
scmlist at cycoresys.com