[ale] keyboard problem

Tim Watts timtw at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 28 20:34:26 EDT 2009

On Sunday 28 June 2009 12:28:51 am Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 19:43, Tim Watts<timtw at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > I'm 99.9% sure this is a software problem. Any ideas what the problem is
> > or where I can start looking?
>
> I would agree.  Start out by creating a new user account and logging
> into KDE4 using that user.  If the problem remains you have a system
> wide problem, otherwise it's a local user config problem.   I know
> nothing of KDE, but if you can narrow it down to system vs user it
> will be easier to help diagnosis.

Thanks, that helped. It /was/ local to her account. For expediency, I deleted,
added her account then selectively restored files in her home dir. After a
good deal of futzing I narrowed down the problem to a bad file in
/home/jessie/.kde/share/config/ but I'm not sure exactly which file(s) were
bad. So the next time this happens (and I suspect it will) I should be able to
just wipe and selectively restore this dir. I didn't have the patience to sift
thru all the diffs of the files there.

It's possible that it was user error. But she's not a sophisticated user by
any stretch (itself a recipe for trouble) and remarkably uncurious about the
system. We're talking webmail via FireFox and maybe Amarok on occasion. The
config dir stores not just user config options but application states as well
(e.g. window sizes etc.). More than likely it's one of these states that
screwed things up.

I'll tell you, KDE4 is rocketing to the top of my sh*t list.

> -Jim P.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something if his salary depends on
him not understanding it.
 -- Upton Sinclair