[ale] Preventing reboot on short duration power loss

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Sat Jun 27 18:31:23 EDT 2009

> Because this seems to happen somewhat often, I need a way to keep the
> computer running through a short duration power loss. Any advice on
> choosing a UPS? It honestly only has to last about a second, with about
> a 200 watt load on it.

I just installed a 10KVA APC.. Because the customer demanded it.
I hate APC, but I've twice hurled smoking APC UPS's from a datacenter.
Makes me that way..

For value, I'd go with a Tripp-Lite, or just about anything other than a
low end APC. That being said, if your power outages are frequent, I'd
consider an "always on" UPS, and if you can find one cheap: a
ferro-resonant transformer (mine is an old Tripp-lite). The transformer
helps when you power misses one or two pulses.

But the other very interesting option, is a power supply that can handle
the outages directly:  http://www.pcpower.com is where to start.
Because I'll bet you real problem on those short outages is the power
supply isn't reseting completely.