[ale] stupid pricing games

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Sat Jun 27 13:26:22 EDT 2009

Geoffrey wrote:
>> Dell isn't the only manufacturer using the shiny displays, everyone is.
>
> Well, they must be using different technologies.  My daughters MacBook
> Pro has a 'glossy' display, but it is fine.  I have a client who picked
> up a high end Dell laptop and it is absolutely terrible.  I don't know
> what the differences in the way Apple vs Dell are, but it's a world of
> difference as far as I can see.
>

> Well, I guess it might be a vendor issue.

I would certainly hope Apple is using more expensive displays in their
laptops.

Everyone's "budget" laptops (for some loose definition of the word) have
the same sort of plastic coated screen as mine does.  It would surprise
me if many of the other manufacturers aren't buying the same screens as
Dell is.

I wish I knew what actually caused the scratches.  If I dropped a small
screw or something in there, the scratches are entirely understandable.
 If it was caused by a crumb from a donut I'd be pretty disappointed
(and probably impressed by the donut!).

I imagine the truth lies somewhere in between :).

Pat